I had the old domain name (theramblingperson.com) for quite a while. It would auto-renew for me and I would just be able to leave it running by itself. Then a few months ago I got an email from Google (who I purchased the domain name from) that my domain name would no longer auto renew because they were changing the way everything worked. Domain registration and renewal comes under the Google Admin service, which is a premium service.
Basically Google wanted to charge me £5 a month for the privilege of charging me £10 a year my domain name. I understand that's actually still a fairly good deal - and I do know people who pay monthly for their hosting - but I disagreed with how they had taken something that used to be free and simple and turned it into a complicated premium service.
Then it all just slipped my mind and I completely forgot about it. When I did remember it, I just pushed it to the side telling myself I would get on it later.
As you know if you visited on Thursday and saw that the domain name expired, I did not get on it later. I did at least try to fix it though.
Google were offering a 15-day free trial of their Admin services. So I decided to sign up in order to finally renew my domain name. Unfortunately for me I could only sign up with a new email address. I couldn't use the one I already had with them. Even worse, I couldn't sign up unless I already had (or bought) a domain name. I tried telling them that theramblingperson.com was my domain name, but they just kept telling me that the domain name was unavailable.
I have a few days to secure the domain name for myself by renewing it, which I was trying to do.
Given that I wasn't able to sign up for Google Admin with my regular email address, nor would I be able to say that the old domain name was mine, the most offensive thing about this is that I wouldn't have been able to save my old domain name even if I had paid for Google Admin before it expired.
So I decided to just go through with the free trial and buy myself a new domain name. I'll start again with a brand new name. So I purchased the domain name theramblingperson.co.uk. Which apparently I didn't own anyway.
To make a long story short, I was eventually able to transfer ownership of this domain name from my new Google Admin account to my old regular email account. So I transferred a domain to myself. Google also has a Google Domains service now, so hopefully I can avoid this shit show next year if it comes up.
PS; yes I considered just going back to a blogspot address but all the good ones were taken and I didn't want to have some retarded random blog address.
The whole thing took several hours and was a fucking nightmare I hope to never have to go through again.