Monday, 7 December 2015

Having A Sleep Study

I mentioned in last Friday's post that I was having a sleep study done at home. I don't remember if I mentioned it on the blog or not but I was supposed to have one done the Sunday before last (29th of November) but the hospital called to say they had to cancel. Then they called me on Thursday and asked if I could come in for a home sleep study kit.
Pretty similar to what I had to wear
I had to have a plug in my nose to track breathing through my nose, a heart rate monitor on my chest, a microphone for snoring and breathing, and one of those clips on my finger to measure my pulse and bloodflow. I looked pretty weird in the full kit. I'd show you but it required me being shirtless and no one needs to see that.

The worst part of the study was that everything was preprogrammed. It was set to turn itself on at 11PM and off at 8AM. I don't know if y'all know this but I'm what people call a night owl. My regular sleeping pattern is 3AM to 11AM (I generally fall asleep around 4AM). So that was a bit of a kicker.

In the interests of giving them a good reading I decided to go to bed early for once. The day I woke up even. At around half 11 I laid down in bed, shut my eyes, and waited until I fell asleep because I suck at falling asleep. I think I just literally don't know how to sleep sometimes.

I know people who can fall asleep in seconds. Like there's some switch they can hit. Not me though.
Then I wake up and it turns out it's about 3:30AM...the time I normally wake up. Another problem with sleep I have is that sometimes I have nights like that. Where I'll sleep for a few hours, wake up, and then be unable to get back to sleep. I laid in bed for another two hours trying to get back to sleep with no success.

I went to bed early to avoid giving them only a few hours of data, only to get just a few hours of data.

In the end I had no choice but to return it how it was and write on the sheet they gave me what happened. Hopefully there's still enough data for them to be able to tell me what's wrong with me. I didn't actually find out how long it'll take them to analyse everything. I imagine with such an incomplete set of data they may ask me to come in for a proper one at the hospital.

In other news I'm finally going back to the hospital tomorrow for my post-op checkup. Good. The area where my tonsils used to be itches and still hurts. I'll keep everyone updated on both health situations.


  1. I doubt they'd be able to make pinpoint accurate statements on your condition (sleep's really hard to analyze, after all), but they should be able to get a rough idea of how your body acts in its sleep state, which may prove really useful. The fact that you woke up early is actually a good thing, because it gives them the data for that troublesome part too.

  2. Maybe they'll do another home test but this time, set the machines to operate for your ACTUAL sleep hours of 3:00 am to 11:00 am.

  3. Now we wait for the results. I don't fall asleep instantly either, especially if there was a lot going on that day.

  4. Yeah that seems kind of weird that they'd just pre-program it for those times without even consulting you first. We all have different sleep schedules. I hope the test proves useful... and if not, I hope they do what Deb said and test your actual sleep schedule.

  5. I would be freaking just wearing all that stuff mark!

  6. Hopefully they have enough data to come to some solid conclusions


Don't forget to subscribe to comments so you know if I say something back. If you want that is.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...